I am not a big chicken person. Don’t get me wrong, chicken is a healthy source of protein. But if I buy parts of the chicken, it’s almost always thighs instead of breast (I find them a little on the dry side…I only buy breasts if I have time to brine them). The thighs are just so quick, easy, versatile, and no matter how you prepare them they’re always so juicy!
This dish was inspired by a plate I like to order at a local AYCE sushi place. The best way I can explain it, is bits of panko fried chicken with red pepper, topped with a lemony sauce. Once I tasted that lemony red pepper explosion of flavour, it was only a matter of time before attempting to recreate this awesome flavour combo in my own way!
In this recipe for Oven Baked Lemon&Pepper Chicken Thighs, I used skin-on thighs. Typically, I almost always buy skinless (so much healthier) at Costco, but RCSS had them on sale for less than half the price, for almost twice the chicken! I like taking advantages of sales like this one because it gives me an opportunity to stash some bones in the freezer for homemade stock. The extra work (to me, at least) is well worth it. It’s a great opportunity to use something you’d usually trash, and make something awesome from it! Making a stock is super easy, and being homemade, it will have much less salt than the store-bought variety. But back to the point, you can always use regular boneless thighs for a healthier alternative.
This chicken turned out great, and to try to keep it on the lighter side, I decided to serve it over a bed of white steamed rice for dinner. I also decided to reserve the juice on the bottom of the baking dish to pour over the rice and chicken to give it some extra flavour!
Do you prefer skin on, or off?
Give this recipe a try and leave feedback below 🙂
- 4 TBSP Olive Oil
- Juice of half a lemon (reserve other half)
- 1 TSP Garlic Powder (I usually use fresh garlic, but ran out 🙁 )
- 1 TSP Dried Thyme
- 1/2 TSP Ground Sage
LEMON&PEPPER CHICKEN THIGHS:
- 4 Boneless, Skin-On Chicken Thighs (you can use skinless if you prefer)
- 1 Red Bell Pepper
- 1 Cooking Onion
- 1/2 Lemon (Sliced)
- 1 TSP neutral cooking oil (I used vegetable)
- 1 TSP Lemon Pepper Seasoning (optional)
- Mix all ingredients for marinade in a plastic bag. Add chicken and thoroughly coat with marinade. Let it sit for 20 mins in the fridge.
- Preheat Oven to 375°F.
- Slice the red bell pepper, the onion, and the half lemon, set aside.
- Heat your pan to med-high heat. Once hot, add the vegetable oil to the pan.
- Place the chicken skin-side down on the pan. Reserve the leftover marinade in the bag.
- After 2 minutes, add onion and red pepper to the pan.
- Cook for 3 more minutes, then flip the chicken and give the veggies a stir. Add lemon slices to pan.
- Cook for 2 minutes, and the pan from the stove.
- Place veggies on the bottom of a glass baking dish, with chicken thighs placed on top.
- Pour reserved marinade over the chicken. Sprinkle lemon and pepper seasoning on for extra lemoniness if desired. Place dish in the oven. Bake for 20 minutes.
- Serve Lemon&Pepper Chicken Thighs over a bed of white steamed rice (or side of your preference). Pour remaining liquid at the bottom of the baking dish onto chicken, veggies and rice for extra flavour.
Trim chicken thighs if necessary. Mix all ingredients for marinade right into a plastic zip bag. Throw the chicken in, and shake it around to coat it. Push all the air out of the bag and seal it. Toss it into the fridge for about 20 mins.
Preheat your oven to 350°F. Put the oil in the pan and heat to med-high. Take the chicken out of the bag, but set the remaining marinade aside for later!! When hot, place the chicken skin-side down on the pan to get nice and brown.
After 2 minutes, add the onion and red bell pepper.
Cook for 3 more minutes, and flip chicken when nice and brown. Stir veggies and add the lemon slices, then cook for 2 more minutes skin-side up.
Remove from heat. Place veggies underneath the chicken in a glass baking dish, pour on the remaining marinade and sprinkle on the lemon pepper seasoning for extra lemoniness!
*Note: I ran out of lemon, so this did the trick!*
Bake in the oven for 20 minutes.
Take out of the oven and devour!!
Serve over a bed of white steamed rice, or side of your choice! Make sure to pour some of that delicious liquid at the bottom of the baking pan over the rice, chicken and veggies for extra flavour! Enjoy!