I found this recipe for Easy Homemade Pizza Dough while I was working at a cafe. Sounds strange, I know, but I was the baker for the cafe. I turned to my FAVOURITE BAKING BOOK EVER, and found the EASIEST, most perfect pizza dough recipe.
This recipe is from The Art And Soul Of Baking by Cindy Mushet and Sur La Table. If there is one book I could recommend, it’s the Art and Soul of Baking. This book is the most solid baking reference I have ever had the pleasure of reading. Seriously, if you bake, this book is the GREATEST. (By the way, I’m not getting paid to say any of this, I just REALLY love and believe in this book!)
But back to the recipe, this is the best homemade pizza dough recipe I’ve ever made. The bottom came out so gloriously golden, and I don’t even own a pizza stone
(although I really should buy one!). The inside is so tender and fluffy, and even with lots of toppings, not even a little bit of sogginess. Just gooey, bubbly cheesy pizza perfection. Crust is the foundation, and this dough really holds up to lots of toppings!
In the mixer bowl, sprinkle yeast over warm water. Give it a whisk, and give at about5-10 minutes to get nice and foamy. Pour in the remaining cup of water.
Add the oil, and whisk together.
Add all of the flour and salt.
Mix with the dough hook on low speed until a shaggy, cohesive clump has formed, about 2 minutes.
Plastic wrap tightly, and leave for about 20 minutes to rehydrate the dough. Resume mixing with the dough hook on low speed for about 5-6 minutes.
Dough should be nice and smooth, and look something like this.
Lightly coat the inside of the bowl with oil, and cover tightly with plastic wrap. Proof until volume has doubled, about 40-60 minutes (If the room is colder, it will take longer).
My dough looked like this after 50 minutes.
GENTLY punch the dough down with your knuckles or fingertips.
Gently stretch the dough either by hand, or with help from a rolling pin. DO NOT OVER WORK THE DOUGH, as it will result in a less tender crust. Try to handle it as little as possible. This dough yields either 2 pizzas or 4 mini pizzas!
Sprinkle some flour onto the pan, place the dough, brush with olive oil (optional, but it’s really good), top, and bake at 500°F for 15 minutes, one regular sized pizza at a time. And there you have it. Easy homemade pizza dough. So easy. So good.
Just look at the crust on that!! The bottom is nice and golden, the inside soft and fluffy.
Do you like to make pizza dough at home? Share and comment below 🙂
- ¼ Cup Warm Water (like warm bath water.. not hot)
- 2½ TSP Dry Active Yeast
- 1 Cup Water (room temp)
- 3 TBSP Olive Oil
- 3¼ Cup Flour
- 1½ TSP Salt
- In your mixer, add warm water and yeast to the bowl. Whisk and allow 5-10 min to get the mixture nice and
- Add water and olive oil to yeast mixture, whisk together.
- Add flour and salt.
- Mix with the dough
hookon low speed for about 2 minutes. The Dough should be a shaggy, cohesive clump.
- Cover with plastic wrap, and wait about 20 minutes.
- Resume mixing on low speed for about 5-6 minutes. The Dough should now be nice and smooth.
- Lightly oil the bowl, and cover tightly with plastic wrap for proofing. Proof for 40 minutes to an hour, or until volume has doubled.
- Lightly punch down dough, split, and very gently stretch into
pizzashape. Do not over work, or the crust will be tough.
- For two pizzas, bake each individually at 500°F for 15 minutes. For 4 mini pizzas, bake at 500°F for 10 minutes.
- Don't overload with toppings, or the crust may become soggy.