I loooooooove the smell and taste of fresh basil, so I packed TONS of it into this simple basil pizza sauce. Basil and oregano are the backbones for a really great pizza sauce (in my opinion) and if you have fresh oregano, use it!
I like to keep recipes like this super simple, so you can really taste all the great flavours of the individual ingredients! And my making your own basil pizza sauce, it’s nice to control how much salt you use! And if you have time, this recipe makes the perfect amount of sauce for Easy Homemade Pizza Dough!
Mince up the garlic and chop up the basil. Coarse or fine, lots or just a little, it’s all to your taste. I made mine with lots of basil coarsely chopped up.
Next, sautee your garlic over medium heat in olive oil for a couple minutes.
Pour the strained tomato (just to be clear, it isn’t tomato sauce or paste, it’s essentially liquefied/puree tomato) right in with the garlic, stir, and drop heat to low.
Add honey, dried oregano and fresh basil to the sauce. Adding the honey is important, because it removed excess acidity, and gives the sauce true pizza sauce flavour. If you don’t have honey, a pinch of white sugar will do the trick.
Stir and cover (leaving the lid slightly open to let steam out) for about a half hour, stirring every 10 minutes or so.
Add salt and pepper to taste. And there you have it! Super simple basil pizza sauce! Spread onto pizza dough and enjoy! This recipe makes enough for 2 12inch pizzas or 4 mini pizzas.
PSSSST… goes great with This Homemade Pizza Dough!
What are your favourite herbs to add to pizza sauce? Comment and share below 🙂
- 12oz or 1½ Cup Strained Tomato / Tomato Puree (I like San Marzano)
- 3 Cloves Garlic (minced)
- 1 TSP Olive Oil
- Fresh Basil (to taste)
- 1 TSP Honey
- 1 TBSP Dried Oregano
- Salt and Pepper (to taste)
- Mince garlic and chop up fresh basil.
- Over medium heat, sauteed garlic in the olive oil for a couple minutes.
- Pour in strained tomato, stir and turn heat down to low.
- Add fresh basil, dried oregano, and honey.
- Cover with lid (slightly off just to let some steam out, but on enough to prevent splatter) and let it bubble for about a half hour, stirring every 10 minutes or so.
- Add your salt and pepper in if desired! Enough sauce for 2 x 12-inch pizzas or 4 mini pizzas.